Dr. Cara Schroeder

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

To Seal or Not to Seal?


My dentist suggested sealants on my child’s teeth. What are they & are they really necessary?

Great question! As a mom and dentist I believe that all options that will help prevent cavities are worth learning more about. The chewing surface of your child’s permanent teeth are covered with deep grooves (referred to as pits and fissures). Food particles accumulate in these grooves, come in contact with bacteria and lactic acid is released. This lactic acid destroys tooth enamel which leads to cavities.

A sealant is a protective coating between the lactic acids and the tooth enamel.
Sealants themselves are a polymer resin brushed on the chewing surface of your child’s teeth. They are bonded to the surface of teeth with an ultra violet light. Sealants are preventive dentistry for the biting surfaces of teeth. They are painless and easy to apply.

Are sealants necessary? Let me put it this way. Removing an appendix is necessary. Sealants are a choice. However, I strongly I they are a benefit. I chose to place them on all four of my own children’s teeth. I have seen too many unprotected teeth come in without sealants and in place are big cavities!

No comments:

Post a Comment